The Three Fundamental Truths of Negotiation:
1. You are negotiating all the time.
2. Everything you want or desire is under someone else’s ownership or control.
3. Negotiating will not only help you get what you want, but will help you give others what they want.
The Definition of Negotiating:
Negotiating is working side by side to achieve mutually beneficial agreements.
THE UNDERLYING FACT OF ALL NEGOTIATIONS:
Both sides want something. There is equal pressure and you should never approach the negotiating table feeling you are the only one who is in need. Both parties desire a specific outcome or there would be no reason to conduct the negotiation.
THE PREREQUISITES OF NEGOTIATION:
Negotiation starts with intense preparation…all the work is performed ahead of time. The one who is most prepared is always the one who achieves the most favorable outcome.
1. Know what you want with absolute clarity. What is your desired outcome?
2. Know in advance what concessions you are willing to make.
3. Know what your options are. Can you live without it?
4. Know your counterparts and the subject matter.
5. Rehearse. Think through the process in advance.